200 Old Halfway Road
Barnegat, NJ 08005
UPDATE: The newly renovated Tavern, dating back to the 1800’s and a history dating back to the mid 1700’s is open:
Weekdays 8:30am - 4:00pm
Weekends 10:00am - 4:00pm
Closed on Wednesdays
For more information, School and Group Tours
Call: (732) 929-4779 or email: LDiMartini@co.ocean.nj.us
Historic Cedar Bridge Tavern, located on 5 acres and surrounded by Bass River State Forest, dates back to 1816. However, the history of the site reaches much further. It is rumoured that the last skirmish of the American Revolution occured here on December 27, 1782. With rehabilitation work completed on the historic Cedar Bridge Tavern in the Pinelands of Barnegat Township, Ocean County now welcomes visitors to a site that plays a part in its history.
This historic tavern sits at an important 18th century crossroads of the east-west Old Springfield Road from Springfield in Burlington County to Manahawkin in then Monmouth County. It is on the original stagecoach route from the west to the shore. The road to Egg Harbor (later Little Egg Harbor – Tuckerton) is only a few hundred yards west of the tavern. By 1743, a sawmill, a tavern and a small village had developed around the bridge over a branch of the Wading River at Cedar Bridge.
The historic tavern restoration is the result of extensive architectural and archeological research that has resulted in the tavern being placed on the prestigious National Register of Historic Places on Aug. 8, 2013.
The multi-year renovation project to the circa 1816 building with an 1830’s kitchen addition took place under the direction of the Ocean County Board of Chosen Freeholders, the Ocean County Department of Parks and Recreation and its Cultural and Heritage Commission.
The completed tavern and property now stands as a historical showpiece in the County park system. As one of the most accurate and authentic restorations in New Jersey of this type of structure, the project allows Ocean County to leave a legacy to future generations.
The Ocean County Board of Chosen Freeholders purchased the Cedar Bridge Tavern on Dec. 27, 2007. As part of the sale, the Freeholders granted Rudy Koenig, the owner-resident from 1959 a “life-estate” to live in the building for the remainder of his life. Mr. Koenig passed on Jan. 12, 2012 and the County began the work of removing the non-historic elements from the home. Meanwhile funded in part by grants totaling $324,926 through the New Jersey Historic Trust, the County hired consultants and contractors to renovate the tavern.
As part of the project’s preliminary work, Annabelle Radcliffe-Trenner, principal of Historic Buildings Architects, LLC, Trenton, conducted a comprehensive preservation plan for the site, designed the plans, managed the prequalification of contractors and oversaw the detailed and historically appropriate restoration work. Click HERE
for the full history of the site from the Ocean County Cultural & Heritage Commission.